Everything You Need to Know About Air Filters
Unless the windows are open in a home every day, chances are the air inside the house is carrying a high load of pollutants and irritants. The air trapped inside a home is recirculated, carrying particles from everyday life like dust, pollen, and VOCs. The only hope that people in the house have to keep the air clean inside the home is improving indoor air quality, and one of the most critical steps is replacing air filters in the HVAC system.
Replacing the air filters in a heating and air conditioning system on time is a homeowner’s responsibility, but most don’t understand why it is essential. Here is a quick article detailing how air filters help in the home and why regular air filter replacement is crucial.
Why Are Air Filters Important?
The air inside of a home tends to become stagnant. Even though it is being recirculated around the house many times a day as the HVAC system runs, it is not getting freshened up. This causes indoor air to become a harbor for all the contaminants produced in a home. The only way to remove these contaminants is to remove them with filtration.
Air filters are a vital part of every HVAC system. Without air filters, the day-to-day grime flowing through the heater, air conditioner, and ductwork would cause problems and shorten their lifespans. Filters also remove contaminants and allergens from the air, pushing fresh air through the system and out to the home.
When Do Air Filters Need to Be Replaced?
Experts typically recommend replacing air filters at least every three months, depending on the type of filter. However, some homes may need to replace them more often to keep their air clean. Some of the things that may require more frequent air filter replacement are:
- Dusty Environment: Homes located near beaches, empty lots, or busy roadways will naturally have more dust in their surroundings. There is no way to keep dust outside completely, so it is better to change air filters more often to protect indoor air.
- Pets: Pets contribute a lot of dander and allergens to a home’s air. Not only do they have pet hair to deal with, but they also track tons of dirt inside. Using higher-quality filters or replacing them more often can help with the extra load.
- Residents Have Allergies or Asthma: Dust, pet dander, and other allergens can significantly worsen respiratory symptoms for those who suffer from chronic conditions. Replacing air filters more frequently can pull more pollutants out of the indoor air and help improve the health of people in the home.
How Does Replacing Air Filters Benefit Households?
The key to unlocking the benefits of air filters is replacing them at the determined interval without fail. Some of the benefits of routine AC filter replacements include:
- Better HVAC system efficiency
- Lower heating and cooling bills
- Good indoor air quality
- Uniform temperature throughout the home
- Better lung health and fewer asthma and allergy symptoms
- Easier housekeeping and less dust throughout the home
- Longer-lasting HVAC equipment
- Reduced need for HVAC repairs
About Mid Florida A/C
Mid Florida A/C is a family-owned and operated company serving Melbourne and the surrounding areas since 1980. They offer personalized service, extended warranties, and customer education. Call them today for heating and air conditioning services in Melbourne, FL.